Monday, January 14, 2008

Another Weekend

We had another fun weekend! The weather is cool, but not so cold that the kids can't play outside.

In fact, this weekend gave me another opportunity to cling to the hope that my daughter might have a little more athletic ability than her mother!



Lauryn loves to climb trees! Let's, just for a second, ignore the fact that this is technically not a tree, but a member of the "bush" family. It still requires the use of muscles and stamina to scale those three feet to the top.

And if you think the words "muscle" and "stamina" were ever used to describe me, then you haven't been reading this blog very long.



I love that her idea of fun is going outside and trying to climb a tree. It's just such a novelty for me. She has some trouble getting down, but the passion is there, and she gets better every time!

As for me, my time as a kid was better spent sitting comatose in front of the t.v. watching The Price is Right and arguing with my sister over who would win the Showcase Showdown.

So you can see how I might be a little excited that my child might actually have it in her to get outside and be imaginative and athletic. Although, when you consider the fact that half of her DNA is packed with "outdoorsy" and "athletic", I should probably not be surprised. My husband will never just "sit around" on a lazy afternoon. His idea of fun is working in the yard or being productive around the house. Can you imagine??! No matter what I do, I just can't convince him that sitting on the couch eating snacks all morning is a good idea. And don't think I haven't tried.

Anyway, on Saturday we had dinner at the house with our friends the Starrs and the Glovers. They came to see the new table and, you know, eat on it. It did it's job, and 6 adults successfully and comfortably dined in the kitchen!

We brought the old table in for the kids to sit at, and they had a great time!



And I have had several ask to see the new table and the project my sweet husband made for the huge bare wall I've been staring at in the kitchen. So here are pictures of both:


The new table
The new project! We had this idea for a message board, and he created it last weekend. It's like one of those black boards they use at restaurants, and we found some fun markers with bright colors. It is great for writing down items for the grocery list as you think of them throughout the week. (I hated keeping up with all the little post-its I used to use!)
The spot on the right is magnetic for hanging pictures, birthday invitations, etc. I love it, and it fills the empty space on that big wall perfectly. We haven't decided on the final color yet (this was paint left over from when we painted the living room).

Hope you had a great weekend, too!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the table! And Brent is so talented - it never ceases to amaze me! :)

Tracy said...

It was fun! Love you taste in tables!

Tracy said...

That would be your taste - not you taste. We aren't in the projects anymore. Man, that dialect sticks!

Lisa said...

Although it seemed the guys enjoyed the table much more than we did, I did love the 5 minutes I got to sit down at it. I think you should have Tracy and I over some time and send the guys out to dinner with the kids. And then we could just sit around talking about whatever without a care in the world. :) Oh, and thanks for letting us all invite ourselves over. Love having good neighbors!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, first of all, i'm extremely jealous of your table! We want one just like it. Someday...
Also, I don't think you give yourself enough credit on being outside. I remember many times we rode our bikes outside, walked to each others' houses, and played at the park, and jumped on my trampoline. Right?
Love the blackboard thingy too. Awesome!

Nicole said...

Oh, I DID walk to Meredith's house! Wow...I haven't thought of that in years. What was that, maybe a mile and a half!? Let's not get into all of our trampoline stories :)

Lindsey said...

ahhhh...trampoline. Have you tried jumping on one lately? I did it the other day and I swear I got a hernia after three bounces. I didn't even get to build up to my big trick ....the sit bounce!
I am in love with your table. SOOOOO cute. And count your blessings that your husband even understands what the word productive means!