Monday, August 17, 2009

Let's NOT count down, shall we?

All summer I've been secretly counting down the weeks to the beginning of school. That doesn't sound like what I actually mean. I have been watching the weeks fly by and counting in my head, almost DREADING each Monday. Knowing at the beginning of each week that we were one week closer to the start of kindergarten.

We got the letter in the mail today for a "Sneak-N-Peek" (otherwise known as Meet the Teacher night!) It just confirmed what I've known was coming all summer. It's here. It's time. She's going to "real" school and there isn't anything we can do about it.

Today I told B that this is the last Monday Lauryn will ever have where she won't not be in school or registered at a school. (Well, at least until she's 18, but at that point I'll have a whole other set of emotional issues to deal with). He kindly mentioned that if I keep this up all week, next Monday morning could end up being a crying, blubbering disaster little rough.


So I'm trying to be brave and just focus on this week with her. Today we had lunch with Daddy and went to the pool this afternoon. We'll have a couple of playdates and maybe another visit to the sno-cone stand.

I just keep wondering and hoping if I've done enough to prepare her. Have I given her enough encouragement? I think so. What about self-confidence? Hopefully. Have I taken for granted the fact that I am blessed to have been at home with her every single day for the past five years? Absolutely. It just went by faster than I could have imagined. Now she'll spend the majority of her time each day with someone besides me, and it'll take some getting used to for both of us!

We can't go back, but I do look forward to this experience. It will be something she'll always remember. I hope her teacher will think Lauryn is just as wonderful as we do!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

One yr ago I could've written about this exact same post! Well, except for the enrollment/registration part - that just cracked me up... You just gotta focus on this new one-on-one time w/Allie...you'll love it!!

Anonymous said...

soo hard! But, I agree with Tracy, Allie will get some attention that I'm sure she'll be loving! You'll be OK. I'm sure of it!

Lindsey said...

You know...I think the hardest part of it is knowing that that teacher won't adore Lauryn quite the way you do. I mean, obviously Lauryn is precious and I'm sure all her teachers will love her, but it just won't be the same, you know?! I hate it. I feel for you. It is hard every year.