Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Does Chuck E. Cheese qualify for social security by now?

We had Allison's party at Chuck E. Cheese this weekend. Usually I'm not totally opposed to overpriced pizza and life sized rodents dancing at your table. In fact, I've been known to take my kids there willingly...and NOT for the purpose of attending a birthday party!


But when you cram 873 people into a small building where the air conditioning may or may not be working on a Saturday afternoon in August in Texas, you don't have quite as much fun as you might think.


But it was fun watching the kids enjoy themselves and Allison loved dancing to the mechanical Chuck E. as he sang.


Although, when it was time for the "real" Chuck to come out, she couldn't get away from him fast enough.

Anyway, we had a good laugh about the fact that Brent had also celebrated a birthday at Chuck E. Cheese, many, many years ago.

I had no idea he had been around that long!


(Chuck E....not Brent.)


I remember taking occasional trips to Dallas as a kid, and we would drive past numerous Chuck E. Cheese establishments on our way. I remember thinking those kids who lived in Dallas were sooooo lucky.


Chuck E. Cheese and Six Flags in your very own town. You might as well live at Disneyland.

For fun, I thought I'd share a couple of pictures from Brent's party. I believe he was 5 or 6.

Names will not be revealed to protect the innocent. But I do have to say that the birthday boy was wearing some sweet sandals.



Let me just say, how awesome was it that Chuck E. came outside and posed for a picture with the kids!? That would never happen today. And as far as a birthday souvenier? Well, Brent got one as a kid and Allie received on in her birthday party package as well.

Luckily Brent's mom amazingly saved and preserved all of their childhood memorabilia and brought his old doll to show us.

I felt a twinge of sadness and, honestly, resentment at the sight of what Chuck E. has become.


Vintage Chuck E. on the left, modern day Hip Hop Chuck E. on the right.

No contest.

*sigh*

Here are the pictures from her big day!

Dancing to the mechanical Chuck E. Cheese!

Spinning until she fell down!

Look who it is!!!!!


Riding the rocking horse

It's my party, and I will TOTALLY cry if I want to!

Allie and her friend Rachel...could their hair be any more opposite!?
Watching fabulous Aunt Jessica make the Elmo cake!
Sweet Birthday Girl!


Cake decorating excitement!


It's Elmo!
Getting ready to eat!
Yummmmm...
Silly girl!
Shy at first when it was time for presents...
...then she was all over it!
Books!!
(notice the birthday
medal...gotta love Olympic years!)
Her new trike from Mommy and Daddy!
Yep. It took about 4.7 seconds.
Proof of the extreme August heat. Poor Elmo.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

That's a great action shot of her spinning! I am starting to think she kind of looks like Jess (who is quite a talented cake decorator btw).

Fun pictures of Brent. He is so darn cute. I wonder if you should have a little boy to see if he looks like that! :)

Did I tell you about Owen's bday party at CEC where a kid pooped in the tunnel slides? I abhor that place.

Abby said...

Tooooo funny! We got Lou a set of wheels for her party and it wasn't long before big sis was on it as well! You know I really LOVE your bows, but Allie hair looked so cute down (in the cake pics).
Playdate soon?

Anonymous said...

ok...LOVE this post. Love the old and new chuck e cheese's (how do you say that in the plural?) Love the retro pics of Brent, and that cake is AMAZING!! I should have been more ambitious with Avery's. She saw this post and screamed..."Elmo!" Elmo!