Thursday, July 4, 2013

Lucy

We welcomed our newest family member on Saturday - a sweet Sheltie girl named Lucy. 

We lost our precious Hope in May 2012. It took a good year for all of us to finally feel ready to think about getting another dog. It's so difficult to try to explain it to other people - especially people who don't have pets. Hope was a family member. We were truly devastated when we had to put her to sleep at, what we felt, was way too early. She was only 10 - we thought we had several more years left.

When we were ready to look at getting another dog, we wanted another Sheltie but didn't want her to look like Hope - not an easy task! We applied with two different rescue groups back in April and had absolutely no luck. Either the dogs were 8+ years old, had serious social/behavioral issues, health issues, or looked just like Hope! 

I sent numerous emails. Left multiple voicemails. Never got a response. When I did hear from someone, I was told that there were not really any dogs available that would be a good fit for our family.

About a month ago, I contacted our vet to see if they knew of any contacts who might have Shelties available. Long story short, it turned out to be another dead end.

I began to think it just wasn't the right time. It shouldn't have to be so difficult. I began to worry. I was ready to give up. It wasn't meant to be.

I think that God reveals His perfect plans for us at times such as this. Just when we think He isn't listening - He shows us that our ways are not His ways. Our timing is not His timing. We (I) need to just get a grip and let Him handle things instead of trying to control every detail of every situation. 

Yeah, that one is a little tough for me :) 

Last week the girls and I were in Iowa visiting family. While at my aunt's house, I got a random call from our vet. Curious, I decided to answer the phone to see what in the world they would be calling about.

She asked if we had found a dog yet. I told her no, and that the other contact didn't work out. She gave me the name of a second person - a breeder in Houston. I went ahead and sent a quick email, explaining our situation. Not expecting much, I quickly forgot about it.

We started out early the next morning for the long drive home. About an hour into the drive I got an email response! I was in shock that someone actually responded in a timely manner! :) Unfortunately, her response was that she didn't have any dogs available.

BUT - she had a friend who did. She forwarded our information to her friend and within another hour, I received an email from HER as well!! 

She had a dog available. She was 13 months old, so well out of the "destructive puppy" stage. She was potty trained. She was leash trained. She loved kids. She was tri-colored, so she didn't look like Hope at all. She was in Houston, but was actually going to be in our area the very next day visiting family. She was more than happy to bring the dog to our house. 

I was amazed - shouldn't have been - but, I was. Amazed at how perfectly orchestrated the entire event played out. And in less than a 24 hour period of time, we had our new baby. 

It will take time to adjust, as she was very bonded with her previous family, but she is a sweet, well behaved, quiet dog. No accidents. No chewing. No aggression. 

God's perfect timing! We are so excited that Lucy has found her forever home with us! 





No comments: